„Although the sulpurous mineral waters occurring in Hungary have a relatively low concentration — from 1 to 10 mg/l —, that fact is advantageous when taking the waters. Waters of a higher sulphur content are toxic. Sulphurous water never occurs on its own so the biological effects of the drinking cure are determined by the other chemical elements present in the mineral water, which show a higher concentration. The waters usually contain common salt, alkaline hydrogen carbonate and/or carbon dioxide in larger quantities.”
Main biological effects of sulphur:
- Improves the functioning of the digestive system
- Vasodilatation, increased local metabolism
- A drop in blood pressure
- Increased insulin production causing a drop in blood-sugar level,
- Restauration of the lost sulphur content in the cartilages
- Inhibition of the infiltration of cholesterol into the vein walls
- Cold sulphurous water decreases biliation, warm water increases it
Recommendations for the drinking cure:
Dosage for a cure: 3 times 200 ml on an empty stomach, in case of an inflammation, 3 times 100 ml is sufficient. If there should be any doubts, it’s advisable to start the cure gradually with the latter, diminished quantity.
In case of any tumorous conditions the contra-indication is absolute, as well as in the accute phase of any disease of the internal organs or joints.